Tuesday, May 11, 2010

#16 RJ::Moral Dilema (2)

Have you ever taken your laptop into the bathroom with you? If so, were you in the safety of your own home, or did you have the audacity to take it into a public restroom stall?

Sure, I've busted out the blackberry for a quick game of brick-breaker during some of my longer episodes, but I've never crossed that line with a laptop. There's just something about having a computer resting on my bare legs, pounding on the keyboard while also pounding out deuce, then juggling the CPU in one hand while trying to wipe with the other - because there is no way in hell that I'm going to put it on the restroom floor - that doesn't appeal to me. Maybe if there were a tray-table of sorts that you could put your laptop on while in the stall and stow when not in use, then things might be different. [Note to self: file patent application for an in-stall tray-table.] Sometimes, I'll be sitting there and come up with a great idea for a blog [or invention] and wish I could quickly post it online before I get distracted with work or other life events. Similar to sex, there must be a chemical reaction that takes place in your head after evacuating your bowels that deletes every thought that came into your head during the action. If it weren't for a conversation that came up in the office, I may not have ever remembered this recent gem:

Between meetings one day last week, I ran into the nearest bathroom for a quick dump. Due to my haste, I failed to notice that there was an extremely limited amount of toilet paper on the roll. I literally did not have a "square to spare." I had to use the resources I had with Native American like efficiency. I survived. I walked out of that bathroom with my head held high - knowing I had been tested, and that I had passed. Only about a half hour later, after my following meeting, all the coffee I drank that morning needed to be released. I entered the same restroom without even a notion of what had transpired there mere 30 minutes earlier... until I saw it. It happened in slow motion: another gentleman who had entered the restroom before me walked into the stall I had previously cleared of toilet paper. I caught just a glimpse of the roll as he shut the door and confirmed it had not been restocked. I hesitated. I knew I should say something, but didn't. I just stood there at the urinal listening to him unfold the toilet seat protector and get himself situated. Every sound came in so crisp and clear, like my sense hearing was heightened to that of superhero or blind man. I slowly washed my hands, all the while waiting, no, expecting to hear him cry out for assistance. I stood for a moment after drying my hands. Looked at the door. Looked back at the stall. It was too late. How could I possibly explain to this guy that I knew he was out of toilet paper? I put my head down and walked out the door knowing that I had failed a much larger test that day. I had failed my fellow man.

I thought of a million excuses in the days following: they should have a flag system that you mark stalls that need attention or supplies, like a mailbox. [Note to self: file patent application for stall-flags.] In the end, I knew I could have done more, I could have prevented that situation from happening. Actions I could have taken, words not spoken.

You be the judge. Am I being too hard on myself - is there an unwritten "buyer beware" rule when it comes to public restrooms? What's your take?

No comments:

Post a Comment